Aquatic Acer: Thermally Modified Vertical Grain Maple
Aquatic Acer is a type of thermally modified vertical grain maple, known for its exceptional quality and suitability for various applications. The name “Aquatic Acer” derives from the genus of hard maple, Acer saccharum. This unique wood product is manufactured and distributed in the United States by St. Angelo Hardwoods, Inc. It offers numerous advantages and is considered an environmentally friendly alternative to teak lumber due to the sanctions against Myanmar imposed by the USA and EU.
Thermal Modification Process:
Aquatic Acer undergoes a thermal modification process by Cambia, which involves subjecting the wood to high temperatures in a controlled environment. This process alters the wood’s chemical and physical properties, resulting in enhanced stability, durability, and resistance to moisture, decay, and insect damage. The thermal modification also gives the wood a rich, warm color, enhancing its aesthetic appeal.
Vertical Grain Maple:
Aquatic Acer is manufactured from vertical grain maple, known for its unique growth pattern. Vertical grain refers to the orientation of the wood’s growth rings, where the rings are mostly perpendicular to the surface of the wood. This grain pattern contributes to the wood’s superior stability, strength, and resistance to warping and twisting. It also provides a visually appealing straight grain pattern, adding to its overall beauty.
Advantages and Applications:
Aquatic Acer offers several advantages that make it a sought-after wood product in various industries. Some of its key features and applications include:
- Environmental Friendliness: Aquatic Acer is sourced from sustainable forests and undergoes a natural modification process without the need for chemicals or additives. It is a renewable resource that reduces dependence on rare and tropical hardwood species.
- Moisture Resistance: The thermal modification process significantly reduces the wood’s ability to absorb and release moisture, making it highly resistant to water damage. This characteristic makes Aquatic Acer suitable for both indoor and outdoor applications.
- Durability: The thermal modification process enhances the wood’s strength, hardness, and resistance to decay and insect attacks. Aquatic Acer can withstand the rigors of outdoor use and has a longer lifespan compared to untreated wood.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Aquatic Acer features a warm, consistent color throughout the wood, which deepens over time. Its straight grain pattern and smooth texture make it visually appealing and suitable for a wide range of design styles.
- Substitute for Teak Lumber: Due to the sanctions against Myanmar imposed by the USA and EU, the availability of teak lumber has been restricted. Aquatic Acer serves as a suitable substitute for teak, offering similar qualities and aesthetics.
Common applications for Aquatic Acer include:
- Decking and outdoor furniture
- Marine applications, such as boat building and yacht decking
Aquatic Acer, the thermally modified vertical grain maple, provides an excellent alternative to traditional hardwoods like teak. With its enhanced durability, moisture resistance, and environmental friendliness, Aquatic Acer offers a range of applications in the boat building industry. Manufactured and distributed by St. Angelo Hardwoods, Inc., this unique wood product is a testament to sustainable and innovative practices, ensuring a reliable and attractive choice for designers and boat builders.